The most popular birds on our planet are – pigeons. A lot of professional says that pigeon farming begins as a hobby, in time, turning into a real rivalry with a lot of passion and uncertainty. The basic concept involved in roller pigeon contests is to present a flock of trained pigeons, which tumbles or rolls yielding points to the team. This takes hard work and discipline and takes a lot of patience teaching and grooming the birds. The flocks are awarded additional points if their formation is maintained throughout. The judge’s award points to the flocks as well as to each bird for the talent exhibition. This competition is quite appealing to many people in America. Pigeons in many of the roller pigeon clubs in America are bought at juvenile stage and years of training is done to accomplish and accustom them with the criteria of the events.
There are about 200 species in the world, of which 50 are flyers, and 200 are decorative. Pigeon domestication is believed to have begun in 3000 BC before the new era in Egypt. It was noted that the pigeon landed at the Olympic Games in the year 1896.
Pigeons are thoroughly prepared for the competition, and awards are various. They are released around 5 hours in the morning to fly, and they can reach from 7 to 14 hours of actual flight in time. It is stipulated that the bird must reach the flight from 800 to 1,200 meters to participate, and compete in the safe landing judged by two jury members. The winners are classified so that they can be the winners of the society, municipality, city, region, and the winner of the republic. At the end of the season, the best pigeon is chosen from all categories.
They are preparing for the competition after winter, most often in March. Preparation begins when wings begin to swing, and then the intake of proteins is recommended when they are given about 18 grams of food. They also practice flying and landing with weather-time breaks. The ideal weather conditions are when the morning temperature is 15 degrees, and daily to 30. The wind can also present a problem during the flight. Southeast winds have an impact on the beginning of the summer, and when the Northwest wind blows, the pigeon cannot find the way home.
Pigeons are kept in cages that the members themselves design and make depending on their possibilities. Boxes for these birds do not have to be large because pigeons love the closeness.
Some of the roller pigeon clubs in America:
- Alabama Pigeon Club
- Giant Runt Club of America Arkansas
- Central California Pigeon Club
- Dan Santangelo Colorado
- Central Florida Pigeon Fancier Association
- American Dove Association Indiana
- Louisville Pigeon Club Kentucky etc.
Few things that should be taken good care of while training your birdie for the D day includes the following:
- Settling the young bird: Settling roller is one of the most important and pertinent steps to train your bird well. There can be various techniques to do it, like using a wire cage or a wire pen. While using a wire pen one should be careful of the predators like hawk, dogs, cats, falcons, that might harm your bird.
- While releasing the team first time, you should teach them the way back to the house or their kit, from day one. Allow them to fly in the morning as the wind is light.
- Feeding your bird: This is the essential part of the training. A feed with proper mixing of various food is highly required to prepare your bird for the competition. Your bird will roll better when hungry. The food requirement also depends upon how to acclimatize your bird is to the prevailing weather conditions. You need to manipulate the ration hand cut down if the bird is seldom rolling.
One should be well versed with an aviary and the ability to breed pigeons and train their flight. All this does not cost much as one can simply buy a bird for a minimal cost. Newcomers are always attracted.
The members of the roller pigeon clubs in America are amiable and Social, and readily extend their warmth towards their fellow members and birds.